Alfândega and the Transportation Museum
The imposing neoclassical Alfândega, or customs house, sits on the riverbank west of Cais da Ribeira.
It was built in 1860 and is now a dynamic cultural center, as well as the Museum of Transport and Communications.
This contemporary museum provides a better understanding of the role of transport in the world, with the major attraction being the permanent exhibition entitled “Cars through the Ages.” One of the main exhibits is the first car to enter Portugal, a Panhard & Levassor brought from Paris in 1895.
Other parts of the building are now the venues for conferences, fashion shows, antique fairs, and other events.
How to Visit
Location: Rua Nova da Alfandega
Getting there: Bus #1 or Tram #1.
Find out more: www.amtc.pt